Search This Blog

Thursday, February 18, 2016

Bake it?

Customer: Hello, I want to buy sugarpaste to cover a cake.  I actually want to decorate a christening cake I was assigned to make.  I just don't know how much I am supposed to buy.

Me: Oh, I am glad you are trying to decorate a cake.  How big is your cake?

Customer: Oh it's a "regular" cake.

Me: OK........ what size is a "regular" cake?

Customer: This big, (showing off with hands the approximate size)

Me: Right! Well I guess you need about 1 kilo of sugarpaste.

Customer: OK thank you.  I have one more question.

Me: No problem.  What is it?

Customer: How do I glue the sugarpaste on the cake?

Me...... (really?) @^@....... Well I don't know about that.  It depends what is the cake filling.

Customer: Oh, it's just a plain cake.

Me: ....... try some ganash.

Customer: (looking at me weirdly). I don't know, I am not an expert.

Me: Try looking up some tips on the internet.

Customer: OK. Thank you and oh, I have one more, last, question.

Me: Yes?

Customer: After I finish the cake and I have covered it, do I need to bake it? In the oven?

Me: .......... (wide eyes and shocked)...... Emmmm....... No, no need.


Sometimes it is so difficult to understand the mentality of another human and you never know what is it you are about to hear and frankly I am so frequently shocked by the questions I hear.  Undertaking the responsibility to make a Christening cake is a lot to handle, even more, when you have no idea what you are doing.  Why do it? Why risking your own sanity? I just don't understand it.

No comments:

Post a Comment